Thursday 26 November 2015

White Hexagons

Hi everyone, Ruth here with this weeks inspiration post. The current challenge theme is about favourite memories; scrapbooking is certainly one way of cherishing these so I've created a scrapbook style canvas utilising white space....yes, I do like white space! This week I thought I'd share my thought process when designing a layout.


My daughter was in South America this summer and one of the many highlights for her was visiting Salar de Uyuni - the worlds largest salt flat in Bolivia, I'll leave it to you to find out more about this stunning unique place! The photo I chose shows the vast expanse of hexagonal salt crust and looking at it I knew I wanted to create a canvas that echoed that space.


When I look at a photo...or any focal image, I'm trying to find elements that I can use to tie the background into it. I could see white, hexagons, textured edges, space and some blue and green, all of which needed to be used if the photo was going to look part of the canvas and not just dropped on top. The elements also needed to connect.

First of all, what had I got in my craft room that I could use for these elements?

  • White? Paint!...paper, vellum, embossing powder etc.
  • Hexagons?  Chicken wire stencils, stamps, honeycomb alterations die.
  • Texture? in my craft room?....puff paint, texture pastes, gels, tyvek, lutrador, fabric, lace etc etc....
  • Space? Think light, transparency and use of white space. acrylic shapes, acetate, frosting glaze.
  • Blue / Green? Inks, threads etc

So I started with a 12 x 12 box canvas and gessoed it. I randomly scraped some white crackle embossing paste over the canvas, once dry I spread white puff paint through the chicken wire stencil (TCW) and then sprinkled on some sea foam white embossing powder before heating it.


Having decided where the photo would go ...right of centre, I squeezed on glue in rough hexagons before sprinkling with embossing pwder. the hexagons in the photo aren't perfect and the EP would give texture. I used various scraps of paper, emboss resist canvas, heated tyvek and cotton lace that had a geometric look to it. I used horizontal lines to echo the horizon in the photo. Ignore the X and V, they're for support!


No glitter as this wasn't ice or snow but I did use some ice silk glaze on the tyvek before heating, the only bit of shine on the whole project.


B for Bolivia and the Dakar Bolivia stone sculpture at the salt flats...another memory for her. It's embossed in seafoam again.


Having die cut acetate for embellishment I also used it as a stencil and spread more crackle paste on to the canvas.


Close up of more hexagonal texture....creamy white above and matte white below


I added some watersoluble pencil to give shadow to a few background areas. I tried a few combinations of thread and fibres for the blue and green elements but in the end used some inktense pencils to echo the sky and scarf.


I wanted some height to the layout but used transparent elements so it still gave a sense of light and space. I stippled PaperArtsy frosting glaze on acetate before die cutting a hexagonal frame for the photo. I also stippled the frosting glaze through a stencil onto an idea-ology fragment, the addition of this balanced with the B bottom right and the Tyvek top right and to my eye completed a 'visual triangle'.


2 small strips of vellum either side of the photo grounded it more and completed the canvas.


Hope you enjoyed the post and that I may have inspired you in some way. You still have another week to join in our challenge...and just remember white space is good! 

15 comments:

  1. An amazingly beautiful canvas - I love how you created the texture to lead into the photo! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty. Such subtle colours and the attention to detail is fabulous. Love the tutorial and the inspiration, thank you very much x A real special canvas and an absolute joy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome. love your thought processes too. hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such stunning background you created for your daughters picture from the salt flat in Bolivia.
    It looks amazing with the tyvek ,and stenciling with the pop up paint!
    Beautiful Ruth !!
    Dorthe xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an awesome canvas Ruth. It is 5 he perfect compliment to the photo!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely stunning Ruth! The white space works perfectly and the echoes of hexagons is fabulous, I could look at this for hours! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, your canvas is stunning Ruth!! I love how you picked up the hexagons and also the touch of green to mirror your daughter's clothing. The quite space works so well with the picture of the salt flats - what an amazing place! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. a beautifully put together canvas,love all the white on white, and the photo is fabulous with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful canvas with a beautiful photo; it fits together so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Ruth, I am SO inspired by this lovely canvas! It is delightful to see your process and "hear" you think out your plan! I truly enjoyed seeing how all your elements relate back to that fabulous photo! Genius work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous, Ruth! Thank you for taking us through your process - so inspirational! You've captured this memory perfectly and so beautifully! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breathtakingly beautiful. Brilliantly executed. Awesome in ever sense of the word. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth, I so love the minimalist route you went here- less is more- Just stunning!!
    xxJackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth, this is amazing! I love the techniques you have used to produce this stunning layout. So much to learn here and to take with us to another project. Love it. Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the rough salty textures and subtle hexagons crackling in and out of sight. Amazing broad open spaces to capture the feel of the wide salt flats - geology and landscape on a canvas - it really is amazing, Ruth.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete